Thursday, August 5, 2010

Beware the Library Search My Child!

Apologies to Lewis Carroll for butchering the first line of his nonsense poem “Jabberwocky” (for a chemistry version of the poem called ”Beware the Physical Chem” click here: https://www.alphachisigma.org/Page.aspx?pid=536 ). But I do mean what I say in the title, beware of library searching. It is a frequently abused procedure in infrared spectroscopy, and if it is used improperly it can be dangerous.

Back in the day before personal computers (boy I’m giving my age away here) library searching was done by eye. Sadtler Research compiled thousands of paper copies of infrared spectra in green three ring binders, and the user had to flip through them comparing the sample to the reference visually. Thanks to modern computers the comparison job has been automated. Library search programs use algorithms instead of visual comparison to make decisions about match quality. A number, called a Hit Quality Index (HQI) is calculated for each comparison. Then, the best matches are shown in a search report.

I have seen people do a library search, look at the first result in the search report, declare “that is it” and go on their merry way without ever looking at the spectra. This is a recipe for disaster! The library search program will always give you a result, even if it is a bad result. Just because the HQI is a number that comes out of a computer does not sanctify it. Remember, computers are programmed by people, and computer programs make mistakes as easily as people do.

Another pitfall people fall into is over interpreting the HQI. When an HQI of 100 is a perfect match I’ve seen people interpret a 95 as meaning “there is a 95% probably that I identified the sample correctly, or “the samples are 95% the same” or “the spectra are 95% similar”. All of these ideas are wrong. The HQI is not a probability or a percentage, it has no units. The value of the HQI varies with a number of things including the search algorithm and spectral regions used in the search. The HQI simply orders the matches for a given search…that is all!

Another reason to beware the library search is search algorithms. The problem here is that we are trying to automate a visual comparison by substituting a calculation for it. As spectroscopists we know what the peaks mean and what noise and artifacts look like but search algorithms do not. It can happen that two spectra of radically different samples can give a high HQI if by coincidence the noise and artifacts in their spectra are similar. Additionally, the spectra of similar samples can give a low HQI if the noise and artifacts in their spectra are different by chance.

There is one simple solution to the problems of library searching, ALWAYS VISUALLY COMPARE THE SPECTRA! Look at your sample spectrum and the library matches and draw your own conclusions about what is the best match, do not rely on the HQI by itself to make the decision for you. In any competition between your eyeballs and the search algorithm, your eyeballs win. The computer is not smarter than you, it is faster than you. The purpose of a library search is to narrow down the possibilities for you. It is your job as the human being performing the library search to interpret the results to arrive at your own conclusions.

If you follow this advice, you will no longer have to beware the library search.

26 comments:

  1. "The computer is not smarter than you, it is faster than you." Great line! So true. The computer is always less smart than the person who programmed it -- and it's entirely possible the programmer was an idiot! :-D

    I was using a fortran compiler once, to make a dll (showing my age!), and it wasn't passing complex numbers correctly. I called the compiler company to explain the problem. They put me through to a software "engineer" who had absolutely no idea what complex or imaginary numbers are. (Amazingly, in the normal course of things the compiler handled complex numbers just fine. Go figure.)

    So, yeah: Trust but verify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learn some good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to create the sort of fantastic informative website.

      Reflective insulation

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post. How will this change the output of portable raman units though? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right. I was pleased when I heard one of my student saying, "I like it here because you are not a bunch of eggheads." We definitely hire tutors who can develop a positive rapport with the student. Business server software Do you need assistance with setting up your business IT support,Business it solutions Adelaide ,Business server software .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post !! I appreciate with your article writing,here its my first visit and i found a great information here.


    _______________________
    Total video downloader for Mac free

    ReplyDelete
  5. Understudies has obligation to get things rapidly and can perform in a split second since training need of everybody while they get online or ofline at home.
    Stampa su bobina

    ReplyDelete
  6. At present I was so tired, and now this time I have got some relax by watching this funny YouTube video, thanks, keep it up.
    Fluchtplan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    zwangerschapscursus amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  8. This video post is actually great, the noise quality and the picture quality of this tape post is genuinely amazing.
    Photo Editing Software for Mac

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly it’s called Search engine marketing that when i search for this paragraph I found this site at the top of all blogs in search engine. Property management software

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Wow its in fact a humorous and jockey YouTube video posted at this place. thanks for sharing it.

    Biker dating

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your blog i read this blog so i am impressed and please next update your content i wait for next update this blog .and i daily follow this site

    Dodge Ram Truck Side Mirror Glass

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a precious information and really a helpful post too. Thanks to share a useful information. There are some interesting aspects in your article and I learned lot of things, thank you.

    Computer repair Albany

    ReplyDelete
  15. What’s up, every time i used to check blog posts here in the early hours in the break of day, for the reason that i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.

    Android repair shops

    ReplyDelete
  16. As the admin of this web page is working, no question very soon it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

    --------------------
    Business management software

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to read that such training centres are the place to be, because in reality, most students do not fit the format of education. Especially now in the digital era, schools need fresh approaches for education. Thanks for the article.

    Plakatwerbung

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time go to see at here and i am really pleassant to peruse everthing at one spot.
    Singapore seo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!
    Drawing Program for Mac

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a marvelous data and really relentless post. By virtue of offer this.Very productive data share.Its enrapturing Information share,Your article I took in a great measure of things,I am all that highly enthused about investigating articles. This webpage was really a surprising site page which I had never discovered it wherever.
    Healer amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good write up! I wasn't expecting this at all. Good job, keep it up. If you ever want to start company, let us know, we can help you as we are the top company registration consultant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. mobile truck repair

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have seen people do a library search, look at the first result in the search report, declare “that is it” and go on their merry way without ever looking at the spectra tiffany bracelet wholesale france , tiffany bracelet wholesale uk

    ReplyDelete